3DS Max AWD Export Not Exporting Animations?

Software: Away3D 4.x

guts, Newbie
Posted: 25 March 2013 07:20 PM   Total Posts: 3

Hello,
I’ve got an animated character model in 3ds max 2012 (64-bit). I am trying to export an AWD file with the animations intact, but what I end up getting is an AWD file with the mesh and texture but no animation.

I’ve added a sequences.txt file in the same folder where the .max file is and where the awd file is being saved.

The sequences.txt file contains the animation frames:

idle 26 313
walk 322 255 

The animations play fine in 3ds max, but the flash preview shown after exporting the AWD file does not play any animations. The animations are nowhere to be found when opening the AWD file with Prefab3D either. What am I doing wrong here? Cheers.

Drisicus, Newbie
Posted: 26 March 2013 02:38 PM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 1 ]

Hi,

I have the same problem, I have followed the Tutorial but as guts said, the animations are not exported.

In 3ds Max I’m using a biped to get the animations. Could this be the problem?
In the tutorial the mesh has bones, but I dont know if this is the reason.

Waiting for help,

Thanks

geekay, Jr. Member
Posted: 27 March 2013 05:10 AM   Total Posts: 40   [ # 2 ]

In 3ds Max I’m using a biped to get the animations.

Don’t quote me on this (I am the programmer of my team), but I think animations only work with Bones, and not Bipeds.

One way to test if any of the animations are exporting is by using prefab: http://www.closier.nl/prefab/

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Drisicus, Newbie
Posted: 29 March 2013 11:58 AM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 3 ]
geekay - 27 March 2013 05:10 AM

In 3ds Max I’m using a biped to get the animations.

Don’t quote me on this (I am the programmer of my team), but I think animations only work with Bones, and not Bipeds.

One way to test if any of the animations are exporting is by using prefab: http://www.closier.nl/prefab/

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Thanks for the help, I also think that Away3d only works with bones.

But I have found this web, that explains how to use biped in away3d with bones,

http://3dflashlo.wordpress.com/biped-to-awd/

I have tried it but doesnt work for me, maybe I’m not doing well the bones or something.

I have tried to export an animation only with bones and nor the mesh, nor the animation are exported.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Drisicus, Newbie
Posted: 30 March 2013 10:09 AM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 4 ]

I’ve been trying,

I made a Mesh and it is exported perfectly, but when the bones are applyed with the skin modifier nothing appears when export.

is there a specifical way to apply the bones?

Thanks

b0y2K, Newbie
Posted: 11 April 2013 03:16 PM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 5 ]

I am also banging my head against this problem…
model and textures are exporting fine but no animations :(

do we have an answer?

Drisicus, Newbie
Posted: 22 April 2013 08:15 AM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 6 ]

I’m busy right now so I can’t spend enough time in this.

But as soon as I know how to do it, I will write a Tutorial or something, because is really annoying :S

SuperSam, Sr. Member
Posted: 22 April 2013 10:36 AM   Total Posts: 102   [ # 7 ]

That would be awesome Drisicus. The Away3D team is talented but it sounds like they consider their own framework as a way to sharpen and showcase their skills and experience to promote their careers. They should devote resources to the community for some months until there are enough skilled community members to tutor the new comers and produce a virtuous circle, because even with Adobe’s support I doubt Away3D can ever take off as a framework without a helpful and living community.

But the chances for this to occur aren’t too high. Away3D isn’t exactly new and as far as I know its weak points have always been incomplete documentation, sparse and scattered tutorials, and a lack of experienced members in the (rather inactive) community. Why would it be suddenly different ? While Away3D 4 is like a new birth, habits are hard to change.

On the other hand I don’t want to find an alternative to Away just yet. I would really like to master it, but it will take far too long as it is. Plus, the more time you devote into learning it, the less you’ll want to switch to something else, and the more time you’ll waste. Tough call…

So yeah any tutorials and experienced replies on the forums are very welcome. I will do that kind of stuff myself when I’ll know more, if I don’t leave Away before.

So again thanks Drisicus !

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 22 April 2013 11:11 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 8 ]

@supersam [“The Away3D team is talented but it sounds like they consider their own framework as a way to sharpen and showcase their skills and experience to promote their careers. They should devote resources to the community for some months”]...

You can’t be serious…

SuperSam, Sr. Member
Posted: 22 April 2013 11:27 AM   Total Posts: 102   [ # 9 ]

I don’t know. I know you’re good guys, especially you Fabrice, this was not meant to put you down. Actually I wish to be wrong very much :p

But look at the forums. Something doesn’t work here.

Don’t you think it’s a correct diagnosis to say that we’re in dire need of a bunch of experienced members hanging around to start the virtuous circle I was talking about ?
If it’s correct, then maybe it would be a wise decision to focus even more resources on making it happen, however you end up doing it, do it hard for some months until fire catches. I would even ponder whether it’s not actually more urgent than improving the framework. (again, tough call)

I’m not an experienced member so all I can do is be active I guess, even if my answers aren’t super helpful maybe that will make more people share thoughts, which may contribute to creating dedicated and experienced members.
I can also help you pondering on the best ways to “create” such members, if you want feedback.

Drisicus, Newbie
Posted: 19 May 2013 11:15 AM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 10 ]

Hi,

I have been busy these weeks but today I take another look to this problem.

And I get a partial solution, and it is… no solution.

I mean, it doesn’t matter if there is not a previsualization of the character with the bones and stuff, if you want to check if it works, just open it with Prefab, and you could see your model, and if you click on it, a window will appear showing the animations (for example “WALK”)

I did it, and I loaded the model on my away3d project and it works perfectly.

Try it and if there is any problem, post here to take another look wink

62316e, Newbie
Posted: 24 May 2013 02:33 PM   Total Posts: 25   [ # 11 ]

Exporter just crashes for me when i check “Export animation” no matter if there even no animation on scene.

hookgab, Newbie
Posted: 03 November 2014 12:22 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 12 ]

The latest AWD exporter for max doesn’t seem to export bone animations as well :/ This is ridiculous.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X