Cover-flow

Software: Away3D 4.x

craigsoenen, Newbie
Posted: 26 March 2013 10:30 AM   Total Posts: 3

Hello,

I’m just new in away3d and i’m trying to build a cover-flow with it. So far i’m successful. But the cover-flow needs to be very flexible. What do i mean with that well i want to push covers in it and take them away very easy. There also need to be a lot of covers in it.
I already can push covers in it and take them away. The only problem is when i add 50 covers or less, the scene is freezing. So when i push 50 covers (ObjectContainer3D)  in it it hangs. Even the stats on it doesn’t work anymore. I just want to show the user a loader that tells them it’s loading. But even that hangs. Is there a solution for this problem?

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 26 March 2013 11:21 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

There are many possible reasons why an app reaches this state. Your code is unknow to us. But because you use lots of maps, you probably hit to some memory issues. For instance, If your routine to add one cover consists of adding a basic plane, make a new material and add to it a loaded map of a nice size, you probably reached the moment where it’s time to make your program a bit more efficient memory management wize. Where object generation/disposal are important. Sharing material and let them hold 4 or 8 of your covers instead of 8 materials and 8 maps, uv toggles etc.

For an asset rich application such as a 3D coverflow, the 3D part is the easy one…

craigsoenen, Newbie
Posted: 26 March 2013 12:15 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 2 ]

every cover needs to have an other material on it. So i can’t use it over and over again.
I already tried to only make 8 covers and everytime change the texture but that doesn’t work either. The memroy isn,t going so high so i don’t know that’s the problem.

You can find the code here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hznfuy76ou4f68h/coverflow.zip

Thanks for the quick answer.

craigsoenen, Newbie
Posted: 08 April 2013 03:08 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 3 ]

Nobody has a clue i think. So maybe i try to explain me more.

I want to build a coverflow app. but when i swipe to the left i want the coverflow to be endless. So you can keep on scrolling.

So i make for every cover an ObjectContainer3D. this contains 2 meshes the reflection and the actual cover image.

So when i open the app i want 20 covers and when i swipe, it loads new covers in the background.
But every time i add a objectContainer to my other objectContainer where i keep all the objectContainers the apps seems like it hanging. everything stops.

Is there maybe another way to build up the covers to make the performance better. Every cover will be different. and the only thing i get from the server is bitmapdata about the cover.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X