away 3d actionscript not showering in flash player

Software: Away3D 4.x

420corn, Newbie
Posted: 12 February 2013 07:18 AM   Total Posts: 3

Hi guys,
I’m a complete noob here, so I apologize in advance for any ignorance I exhume.
I have been trying to run away3D in flash cs6, trying to create a cube like I saw in a youtube video “first steps with away3D”. I am able to access away3D code hints when entering actions, and the import dialog appears at the top for away3D for those actions, so I’m pretty sure I’ve got that part set up right.  The problem is, when I try to preview, nothing comes up, and when I right click on the preview, it doesn’t show away3D (when the guy in the video right clicks on his preview, it says away3D at the top of the right click menu”. 
in my publish settings, I am running flash 11.2, and I have the latest versionof flash for windows 8(11.3’something).
If anyone has any idea how to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. This has been driving me mad for days now.
420corn

_kihu, Jr. Member
Posted: 12 February 2013 08:59 AM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 1 ]

Make sure you’re running the code you think you’re running e.g. put trace(“hi away3d”) in your away3d code.

If I remember correctly, in Flash CS you set main class/document class or sth. Make sure you’ve typed the name in correctly (without “.as” at the end).

Also, consider using FlashDevelop if you’re more of a coder than designer. It makes working with code way easier and it’s free.

420corn, Newbie
Posted: 12 February 2013 04:32 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 2 ]

_kihu,
Thanks for the tip. How would I go about writing that trace code? What would it look like and where exactly do I put it?
Thanks again, I really appreciate this. Like I said I’m totally new to flash, and it’s been frustrating me so much because I can’t even start learning because this problem. You know what I mean?
Again thanks,
420corn

_kihu, Jr. Member
Posted: 13 February 2013 09:15 AM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 3 ]

The code for tracing things goes like this:

trace("hello"); 

You can trace values e.g.

var myString:String "hello";
trace(myString); 

Both examples would show “hello” in the console.

To set a document class, here’s a tutorial:
http://gotoandlearn.com/play.php?id=43

Also, http://gotoandlearn.com/ is a really nice starting point for beginners who want to learn flash AS3.

Just be aware that before you’ll be able to create complex apps with Away3D, you should learn AS3 syntax and Object-Oriented-Programming rules. It may be a long trip, but also quite satisfying:)

If you’re more of a designer, take a look at Unity3D or Flare3D studio. There, you can create 3D scenes with lights and cameras by just dragging items and setting parameters. As long as you’re satisfied with the assets provided there, you don’t need to code anything.

420corn, Newbie
Posted: 13 February 2013 01:23 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 4 ]

Thank you so much. I have decided to learn more about actionscript altogether. It’s the animation aspect of flash that brought me to it in the first place, but programming has really caught my interest. I’ll check out those sights. Thank you again.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X