OOp and away3d

Software: Away3D 3.x

FJW, Newbie
Posted: 17 December 2012 01:18 PM   Total Posts: 20

Hi Once again.
I am still trying to get to grips with multiple classes in order to keep the coding tidy. Have got a project that works from the basic AWAY3DTEMPLATE.
In flash one of the problems is accessing the stage and the view. Currently I have a Class that puts a rectangle and a PNG file on the stage. When I click on it I get the response from a listener but I need to put a graphic on the scene. Have tried to extend this ‘Tool’ Class to away3dTemplate which seems to work but I cannot see the object, even though a trace seems to tell me its there. I summise that I cannot have multiple classes in this way. Does anyone have a simple example that I can look at? My project will have more than 50 Classes as I do not wish to develop as just away3dtemplate plus one huge file. Hope someone understands this.
Best
F

Rasterizer, Member
Posted: 17 December 2012 04:49 PM   Total Posts: 69   [ # 1 ]

To me this sounds like a problem with your programming skills rather than something Away guys should be concerned about.

Maybe you should invest some time into studying OOP, AS3, best practices and so on. The web is full of these. Plus when you get throught that, study the structure of examples that come with Away3D, actually, any AS3 examples you can lay your hands on. And do your stuff, practice.

FJW, Newbie
Posted: 17 December 2012 04:56 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 2 ]

For sure its my programming skills and also my lack of understanding for what I read. Thanks for what I regard as a ‘To THE POINT POST’ in that you can do it and I can’t grin Was an Architect and not a programmer, now an retired and looking for something to give me some fun. This stuff is cool with lots to learn.

I shall learn eventually. Thank you very much for at least reading my request for help.
F

Rasterizer, Member
Posted: 17 December 2012 06:17 PM   Total Posts: 69   [ # 3 ]

Nah don’t understand me wrong - we all began somewhere, there’s no shame in not knowing something, we all grow. So grow man, grow. grin

FJW, Newbie
Posted: 17 December 2012 06:36 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 4 ]

Yes I am growing pal:-) Have already made 2 good games in Flash. Thought would try some 3D and my OOP is not so bad nor my programming.
Its just that what I need, I can’t find or I can’t find anyone to say. Games with Flash and away3d are about the stage and the scene this is the best way to handle things…. blaa blaa so I got an awayTemplate.as and learned how to use the super() and override stuff. Thats cool and easy. Then I wanted to add some Flash graphics on top, so I learned to write a new class that accessed the stage, even cooler. Now the problem is how to learn to access the scene from the stage function and thats where I am stuck. Sure I know how to call another class and get a response, but the detail things I cannot do, as yet. All I want to do is click a menu and put a cube on the scene or view whichever it should be called. haha, there must be some kind person out there who can say…try it like this. Just like I would try to help someone draw in Archicad and create beautiful buildings as I used to.
Best
F

Rasterizer, Member
Posted: 18 December 2012 10:13 AM   Total Posts: 69   [ # 5 ]

Hey you made games in Flash and didn’t give us links ? Come on mate, share with us.

FJW, Newbie
Posted: 18 December 2012 10:37 AM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 6 ]

Give me an email and I’ll send you a christmas game that I made

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X