Texture Sampling / Filtering / Mipmapping problem

Software: Away3D 4.x

Ant, Newbie
Posted: 20 September 2012 06:26 PM   Total Posts: 5

Hi,

I’m just getting into Away3D (enjoying it too!) but I’m having a bit of an issue with blurry textures. I’ve been searching for a fix but nothing so far seems to do the trick.

I’m trying to make a pixel-art style texture on some objects and, even with mipmapping and smoothing disabled, they just don’t look right. The attached image shows a sample texture on the left with its 3D representation on the right. I want to keep the sharp pixel edge look. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ant

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 September 2012 08:09 PM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 1 ]

hi

not so shure myself, but did you try changing the antiAlias ?

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

Ant, Newbie
Posted: 20 September 2012 08:17 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 2 ]

Hi. Yes I’ve tried antiAlias and a few random lens properties inside the camera - all to no avail.

Thanks though, I’m open to any more suggestions along those lines if you have them smile

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 September 2012 08:42 PM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 3 ]

whats the texture size ?
did you try very big vs very small ?

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

Ant, Newbie
Posted: 20 September 2012 09:06 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 4 ]

It’s 64x64. I’m planning on their being a LOT of small texture, low poly models when it’s finished, so I need to keep sizes down really. I tried it at 256x256 and there was no difference.

It’s an odd one! I’m a bit stumped. I’m no 3D expert but I thought it’d simply be the mipmap property. It looks as intended when I disable it in Cinema 4D at least

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 21 September 2012 10:30 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

That looks very odd. Can you upload a test SWF somewhere so that other Forums users can confirm that it looks the same everywhere and not just on your machine?

Ant, Newbie
Posted: 21 September 2012 11:09 AM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 6 ]

Hi, thanks for the help. You’ve made me stumble across the source of the problem while I was trying to set up the upload. I think the Mesh is using the material directly from the .dae file (it’s the same as the one I loaded in so I never noticed) rather than using the one I’m attempting to apply after an AssetEvent.MESH_COMPLETE.

Is there a direct way to replace the material in a Loader3D? A search gave me the following but it’s not working:

for (var i=0;i

Ant, Newbie
Posted: 21 September 2012 11:38 AM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 7 ]

Turns out it works just fine if I use a .3ds file. I’ll try to avoid Collada I guess.

Thanks again for prompting me to find the problem and for all your work on Away3D in general

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 21 September 2012 12:00 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 8 ]

Sounds like a bug in the collada parser, but you should rarely use collada anyway so if you got it to work with 3DS I suggest you stick with that.

Siroko, Newbie
Posted: 25 August 2013 02:28 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 9 ]

Seems like the texture is seted as <2D,linear> in the shader so the pixels are interpolated and the GPU forces this smoothed effect. For no smoothing, the texture should be <2D,nearest>

Try using a TextureMaterial with the smoothing property seted to false.

Good Luck!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X