Particle system: flint particles vs liaocheng

Software: Away3D 4.x

Huck, Jr. Member
Posted: 14 September 2012 01:57 AM   Total Posts: 45

Hi Guys,

i was just wondering what is the preferred particle engine to use with away3d 4: Flint particles or liaocheng’s engine?

thanks

richardlord, Newbie
Posted: 14 September 2012 09:52 AM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 1 ]

Hi

When I first created Flint, there was no Stage3d, and Away3d was very new. Flint is a generic, flexible and extensible particle engine, which accounts in part for its popularity. In particular, it was designed for developers to extend by adding Actions and Initialisers of their own, and later extended to render those effects in any of a number of 3d render engines.

This general, flexible nature is part of what makes Flint popular. But the efforts to render Flint effects in many different 3d render engines leads to some compromises, mostly of speed but also of render quality.

For this reason, I suspect the long-term future for particles within Away3d (and other custom render engines) is particle systems that are designed specifically for that platform.

So, if liaocheng’s particles does what you need it’s probably the better choice. I notice liaocheng followed Flint’s style of adding Actions to a particle system so it is somewhat extensible too.

Richard

Huck, Jr. Member
Posted: 14 September 2012 12:55 PM   Total Posts: 45   [ # 2 ]

what a great answer straight from the source.

thanks very much for that

3dNewb, Sr. Member
Posted: 24 October 2012 08:46 AM   Total Posts: 105   [ # 3 ]

For those of you who stumbled upon this topic by Google:

The roadmap 4.1 Alpha for Away3D states that the Away-3D-Particles-System by Liao Cheng will be merged into the Away3D code. So go with that one.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X