From which class should I start learning away

Software: Away3D 4.x

ganesh, Member
Posted: 03 September 2012 06:38 PM   Total Posts: 54

In away>src>away3d folder there are lots of packages and classes. As I thought to learn it by myself, I thought I should start by reading each classes.

But, I see that each and every classes interlinked to each other, this confused me a lot to find a starting point to learn it.

Like away3d.containers has 3 class ObjectContainer3d, Scene3d and View3d, all these are linked to each other to create a 3d scene, when I read class description on ObjectContainer some of its functions takes me to Scen3d and again some of Scene’s function linked to View3d which is again linked to ObjectContainer.

Is not there any starting point from which I can start following by creating objects by self and move on?

We can say that in AS3 the staring point is trace(“hello world”) then next step is like var a = 1; var b = 2;  trace(a+b)  // output 3

This is basic view example code

import away3d.containers.*;
import away3d.entities.*;
import away3d.materials.*;
import away3d.primitives.*;
import away3d.utils.*;

import flash.display.*;
import flash.events.*;
import flash.geom.Vector3D;

And this simplified code does the same job

package
{
import away3d.containers.View3D;
import away3d.entities.Mesh;
import away3d.materials.TextureMaterial;
import away3d.primitives.PlaneGeometry;
import away3d.utils.Cast;

import flash.display.Sprite;
import flash.events.Event;
import flash.geom.Vector3D;

you can see in previous example we are importing all classes even those which we dont require now and in my simplified code I am calling necessary codes only. In simplified code you exactly know which class is doing what but in previous code you can not exactly say which is doing what..

For last 10 days I am struggling to learn using away with AS3, I even tried to add a light source in Basic_view example, but could not succeed, on every rendering I see errors, and obvious it was my fault

All I just want to know from where should I start learning away, the books available are for older version, and example are helpful for existing away users only.

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 03 September 2012 11:31 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 1 ]

My learning road:
0. Stage3D and Agal
1. 3D Away3d Containers (How it works)
2. Materials and Textures
3. Primitives + Materials
4. Light
5. Methods(shadows, projectors, specular, normals etc)
6. Parsers
7. Translations of 3DObjects on then scene with lights methods Parsed objects, materials.
8. Animators (Vertex, UV, Bone);

Then you can learning more by creation of simple game for your education.

ganesh, Member
Posted: 04 September 2012 06:32 PM   Total Posts: 54   [ # 2 ]

Thanks Shegl,
you info helped me a lot, I skipped the basic step to work with 3d, I read some articles on stage3d, agal, shaders etc. Now I realize that away is a mini ocean to learn.

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 04 September 2012 06:50 PM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 3 ]

yeah youre right with the ocean

sometimes it can be a really big one….

what helped me a lot was looking at the basic examples, and just try to follow the renderprogress through the away3d librarys. its still my prefered way of learning new stuff (and there are still a lot of classes i never took a close look at). flashdevelop has this function that you can rightclick any variable and jump right to its declaration (open the *.as file) or find all references of it. i really use this a lot to understand the way stuff works in away3d.

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X