Away3d 4 Gold step by step tutorial

Software: Away3D 4.x

ganesh, Member
Posted: 30 August 2012 06:49 AM   Total Posts: 54

Can some one post step by step tutorial on how to learn away 3d 4, I am not asking to write codes for me. As a lack of step by step tutorial on away 3d 4, I am taking reference from away3d 4 golds api from github, There each class and their functions are explained very well and I’ve also seen examples. But those are for advanced users (for those who already have used it before).

For example I can draw geometry shapes on stage, but they does not show on flash output, its because I have not added a camera yet or have not added 3dcontainer or 3d view to render or hold the object.

That’s what something I want to know, as there is bunch of packages/classes from which I should start learning. As without knowing how to add a geometric/primitive shape on stage there is no meaning to learn how to add color onto them. I want to learn from A through Z, but now I am wandering from B to D to S ...

Please Senior members help me.

macaan, Newbie
Posted: 30 August 2012 08:20 AM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 1 ]

I started with the tutorials here: http://www.flashmagazine.com/Tutorials/category/away3d4/
They are really helpful for the first steps

ganesh, Member
Posted: 30 August 2012 09:21 AM   Total Posts: 54   [ # 2 ]

Thanks macaan,

I have done all this, done means I read them, downloaded them, and tested them. Now they are all in my pc,

Just for instance go to http://away3d.com/livedocs/away3d/4.0/ and click on Camera3D on left side All Classes column, then it open a page on Camera3d with all details, Now, I know what properties and methods it has.

But what I want is instructions like -

package {

import necessary packages

class {

write you function display objects in scene

}

}

Now, I don’t know what are the packages I required to see a camera in action

what are the procedures to do after adding a primitives to see it through camera,  etc.

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 August 2012 09:43 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 3 ]

Try these…
https://github.com/away3d/away3d-examples-fp11

Good Luck!

David Mosemann, Newbie
Posted: 30 August 2012 05:31 PM   Total Posts: 18   [ # 4 ]

Ganesh,

If you are looking for a basics introduction into Away3D I would go through a couple books that are out there for Away3D 3.6. (I imagine there will be books for Away3d Gold at some point but it was just released a few months ago so you could be waiting a while) I went through these books back in April - even though 4.0 was out in Beta at the time - and it really helped me understand the basic concepts. The upgrade to Away3d Gold has been a lot easier because of going through those two books.

The two I would suggest are: Away3D 3.6 Cookbook and Away3D 3.6 Essentials. Links to both books are on the “Books” page under Docs & References at the top of the page.

Also - and my apologizes if I’m wrong - but it seems that you may also be new to ActionScript 3, which is what Away3D is based on. So, if you haven’t used ActionScript 3 before, you may want to start there. It’s difficult to understand the Away3D framework when you don’t have the basics of ActionScript down. A book that was very helpful to me was: http://www.learningactionscript3.com

Hope that helps
-David

Posted: 30 August 2012 07:35 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 5 ]

I would not recommend investing on books about 3.6, they will only confuse you as 4.0 is completely different.

Donate the money direct to the team instead smile

Many questions arise here on the boards because, naturally people assume 4.0 is a continuation after 3.6, but between the two versions stage3D was introduced and therefore the engines are different to the core.
I even recommended that they call it Away3D GL 1.0 or something, to emphasise the fact.

David Mosemann, Newbie
Posted: 30 August 2012 07:42 PM   Total Posts: 18   [ # 6 ]

True Away3D 4 is very different.. I wouldn’t say completely. I think the basic concepts have similar logic. For me it was the best way to learn. I’m a designer, just getting into the developer side of things, so without a significant background in code I found those books to be helpful as at least a starting point, even though I knew Away 3D 4 would be different

The examples on github are very good, but if you don’t have any background in Away3d or even AS3, it’s hard to know what one is looking at.

-just my thoughts/experience

ganesh, Member
Posted: 31 August 2012 02:18 AM   Total Posts: 54   [ # 7 ]

Wow wow wow. That’s what I was looking for. Its like a treasure box for me.
Thanks, theMightyAtom,

ganesh, Member
Posted: 31 August 2012 02:24 AM   Total Posts: 54   [ # 8 ]

Yes, David Mosemann you guessed right, I am new to away and as3, I also have these two books you mentioned in your post, but what I was doing wrong is I was practicing codes from the book of 3.6 with new away 4 gold libraries, That’s why I was getting too much of errors.

I am not completely new to AS3, I have done some basic task in AS2 - flash8, So, I know the coding logic and some terms, but I am unaware about AS3 coding style in, I have also got a tutorial on AS3.

Thansk to you too

Jake, Newbie
Posted: 21 March 2014 01:07 AM   Total Posts: 11   [ # 9 ]
theMightyAtom - 30 August 2012 09:43 AM

Try these…
https://github.com/away3d/away3d-examples-fp11

Good Luck!

2014 and there is still a shortage of 4.x specific educational material.

Most of the examples in the collection mentioned above can be played live here:  Live Away3D 4.1 demos

I wish there was a centralized database of 3.6 to 4.0 code translation tips, some sample code examples in the text books just needed the name of a function changed to the new equivalent.

Posted: 21 March 2014 07:53 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 10 ]

It’s best to forget 3.6 if you want to work in 4.0 and above. Many classes have been abstracted. Take for example BitmapFileMaterial. You want a material from an image file, one line, bingo. In Away3D 4.0 it’s a lot more complicated, though with good reason.

I would have a go. Make sure you use an editor with autocomplete, that way you’ll quickly find all the different functions each object type has.
The tutorial section is also quite good theses days smile
http://www.away3d.com/tutorials/

If you get stuck on anything particular, this is the place to come.

Good Luck!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X