01 Jun 2010

First Away3D book: The Essential guide to 3D in Flash

by Rob Bateman First Away3D book: The Essential guide to 3D in Flash

The very first Away3D book was finally published last month by Friends of Ed. Thanx go our to the main authors Rob Bateman and Richard Olsson, as well as Away3D Team members Greg Caldwell, Jens Brynildsen, Peter Kapelyan, David Lenaerts and Alejandro Santander who all made contributions. This has been a lot of work for everyone involved, and is a testament to the dedication of the core team and support of our community. The book serves as an ideal primer for anyone looking to get into 3D in Flash, or anyone who has used Away3D for a short while but is interested in cementing their knowledge. It covers a wide range of topics from basic primitive creation and interaction through to advanced features such as bones animation and 3D text manipulation, using the latest 2.5 & 3.5 double release as its code base. Each chapter is packed full of examples that teach underlying 3D concepts as well as the application of Away3D in a standard AS3 project, and the text provides initial setup assistance for whichever ActionScript editor you favour. A web page at http://flash3dbook.com has been created to document where you can buy the book online, and is also the place we are hosting the errata doc which is keeping track of any minor corrections. Alternatively, go to Amazon or the publisher's own page at www.friendsofed.com, the latter of which offers an eBook option, as well as all the necessary source files for the contained code examples. Feel free to comment your thoughts below if you have purchased the book recently and would like to submit a review - all opinions welcome!

COMMENTS

04 Jun 2010 12:23 AM

Roger Precious said:

I am reading this book right now. Very well written, easy to understand and follow. Thanks for publishing this book!

08 Jun 2010 05:54 AM

Eduardo said:

Thanks very much for publish this. i worked for a while with PV3D but... i've been missing the most of 3D in Flash.

08 Jun 2010 03:26 PM

Martin said:

bought it today, reading it and loving it.
Thanks for your awesome work with everything away3d-related!
:D

09 Jun 2010 02:44 PM

Sean said:

Awesome! I just purchased a book from Amazon, can't wait to read it!

01 Jul 2010 11:41 AM

Jonah said:

I'm getting stuck on Chpt 3 because of referencing errors inside Flash and the writing for this book looks to be for FlashBuilder.

I'm creating the directories as was written for the base class, but it's giving me impicit coercion errors for the Trident & Cube, meaning it's not finding the away classes. Where am I supposed to save my .fla and what Document class should I be using for it? I'm a little confused and frustrated at this point.

07 Jul 2010 12:37 PM

Julian Wilson said:

Finally! I've been waiting for this. Just bought it from Amazon today. Exciting B-)

10 Jul 2010 01:11 PM

SomeFunkyDude said:

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for this one at the bookstore.

30 Jul 2010 12:22 PM

Carl German said:

Just Published: Correct MD2 Exporter.ms for Max-Script with small tutorial to use this Amazing Optimization for MD2 + Away3D. ????See here:

03 Aug 2010 05:48 PM

EZ said:

This book is a great addition to the 3D engine.
Just bought the downloadable version, and starting to dive into it...

Some requests, though:
1. It would be great if all samples could be downloaded with complete source code
2. It would be great if you could add some remarks regarding changes between Away3d to Awat3dLite. I've tried to use the Collada bones sample (Chapter 09) with Away3dLite - no success (wasn't able to rotate the bones). Or maybe even better - port the samples to Away3dLite...

14 Aug 2010 09:37 AM

??? said:

???????????????
Is there Chinese Version? My English is not very good.
English version will spend much more time.

01 Nov 2010 03:08 AM

Reverse Osmosis : said:

i usually buy books online because i do not have time to visit the local bookstore ''

21 Dec 2010 03:17 PM

Sharron Clemons said:

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for this one at the bookstore.

13 Mar 2011 05:30 AM

justme said:

The book is totally missing the subject of vector shapes (except a way to display text). Does Away3D support the creation of vector shapes? There is not a single paragraph in the book about this. I have to look elsewhere for an answer and find tutorials...

For what it does mention, the book is very good though.

13 Mar 2011 05:36 AM

justme said:

Correction: My comment was meant for the new book "Away3d 3.6 Essentials".

25 Aug 2011 06:47 AM

dorothydale said:

In which different languages it is available online?

Exterior painting palm beach