05 Jul 2007

Chrome Ball

by Fabrice Closier Chrome Ball

Click on the Chrome Ball, or here, to see!

Difficult to believe the above image is being rendered with Flash, eh?!

Yes, I think I got it... while playing with the new code, I finally managed to get what I was looking for. The metal has now the real look and feel I wanted to get!

Next step... speed improvement and influence from lighting!

COMMENTS

05 Jul 2007 11:32 PM

Mr.doob said:

Same question as in the last post more or less...
Are you just offsetting the texture and applying a distortion on top or are you doing something fancier?

05 Jul 2007 11:33 PM

Mr.doob said:

Would be cool if you could use an object a bit more complex next time so we can see exactly what's going on.

06 Jul 2007 09:12 AM

Fabrice Closier said:

Hi Ricardo,
I first want to fixe some issues before start applying to some other geometrie. Yes the reflection is being offsetted, what else? And yes there is/are an fancier thing going on, there is a pixel tweener driving the "lightmap", now coupled to the camera targettiltangle and targetpanangle, but that's the easy part. The difficulty is to find the right balance beetween real calculations and flash capabilities.
I just try to write usable code so that artists like you, soon will be able to make great (or greater) things with the away3D tool!

06 Jul 2007 09:33 AM

steve said:

It's a lot more complicated, as the flood of messages in internal development can testify!

Fabrice is working on a universal solution to bump and light mapping which is very heavily dependent on Away3d's matrixes and normals.

06 Jul 2007 07:53 PM

Owen van Dijk said:

That example crashes all my browser 10/10 with the latest labs beta FP... :

07 Jul 2007 01:34 PM

Ryan Christensen [draw.logic] said:

The demo is fine in IE7.

In FF2 it crashes in the beta and the 9.0.45 player every time if you zoom in. If you actually keep your mouse at the top where it is just the overhead view it runs with no problems. When you get close to the equator of the chrome ball it crashes FF2.

Hope that helps. Excellent demos here.