17 Dec 2007

Away3D Tiling

by Fabrice Closier Away3D Tiling

One of the things I was missing the most in the API was the ability to tile the textures. This allows you to repeat an image on a model with no overlaps and no gaps. The best illusion can be of course achieved by using a seamless image.
Sea surface, deserts, endless roads etc... As you will discover in this demo, it looks like infinite planes are coming to Flash.

Making a material with tiling properties is pretty easy too:
var mat:IMaterial = new BitmapMaterial(myBitmapdata,{ repeatH:2, repeatW:2});

I'm already curious to see what will be done with this new feature!

Fabrice

COMMENTS

18 Dec 2007 01:06 PM

Cedric said:

Hello Fabrice.

For the plane, is this implemented by mode7 or by classic polygonal texturing ? For me it seems to be mode7, because I don't see deformation on the infinte plane. But your confirmation would be appreciated wink If it's mode7, do you allow all possibilities of movements for the camera ? Does it take focus ?

I ask this because I began a little work on mode7 for Sandy. I have already something working here, based on FredH code :

But for me it will be really implemented in Sandy when the mode7 will be fully compatible this the camera object settings :
- full position and rotation
- focus value and viewports properties

Of course, all of this without loose the native acceleration bonus allowed by mode7.

Say me what you think about !

18 Dec 2007 04:05 PM

admin said:

Hey Cedric,
Your plane looks fantastic! Very impressive!
No it's not mode 7, it's just mode Away smile

18 Dec 2007 06:04 PM

Cedric said:

Wow, so the lack of distortion on your textures is impressive. I imagine that a camera flying around the sphere and the cube would be amazing !

19 Dec 2007 04:20 AM

Edin said:

Hey Fabrice,

This looks fabulous.
Is this tile feature available in the current Away3d release?

19 Dec 2007 04:50 PM

admin said:

Cedric,
Thx, Not so long ago there were some critics about Away's renderers, in the name of speed. Now that we have speed and quality, i bet some will try do the same!
Try to change the player quality to low and see how the tiling can boost the performance.

Edin
No. But since it's so essential for the Flash3D communauty, i see chances we build it in the 1.9x. soon.

19 Dec 2007 08:43 PM

Cedric said:

D'la bombe ! comme on dit chez nous wink

23 Dec 2007 06:25 PM

Lorenzo said:

i really hope to see the tile in the next version of away3d, it would be amazing!
another thing, why dont you open a section on this blog for tutorials?

24 Dec 2007 08:04 AM

admin said:

Tutorials are actually priority number one!

24 Dec 2007 09:09 PM

Ian stokes said:

thank for making all the demos, its very helpful to see away3d in action!

29 Dec 2007 07:21 AM

Sandy3D - material tiling feature demo | ideux said:

[...] Dic 24 Sandy3D - material tiling feature demo Comentar Noticias Few days after the release of a technical solution for tiled textures from the very innovative 3D library Away3D, allowing some very cool features, we are proud to show [...]

22 Jan 2010 01:48 AM

Rohan said:

Hello Fabrice,

Well, I liked your demo. But...

I didnt find any version having the repeatH and repeatW property. Right now am using the 2.0 version. Do i need to upgrade it to get those properties?

22 Jan 2010 10:55 AM

Fabrice Closier said:

@Rohan, thats correct, this ios a 2007 post. we have changed a lot. try the TransformBitmapMaterial... join our devgroup for technical support

30 May 2011 04:39 AM

click here said:

I used to be questioning if you could be all for becoming a guest poster on my blog? and in alternate you would put a hyperlink the put up? Please let me know whenever you get a chance and I will ship you my contact particulars thanks. Anyway, in my language, there arent much good supply like this.

30 May 2011 05:23 AM

click here said:

Great post, I think blog owners should acquire a lot from this web blog its really user friendly .