01 Nov 2007

Away3D Normal mapped bust

by Rob Bateman Away3D Normal mapped bust

This demo nicely illustrates the huge visual enhancement that normalmapping brings to Away3D. You can click on the bust to swap between the new Dot3BimapMaterial and the old WhiteShadingBitmapMaterial to compare. New materials that take advantage of normal maps will be included in the next release of Away3D. The normal map in this example was created from a high-poly mesh using a technique decribed here. The resulting model has significantly fewer triangles, but retains a high degree of detail in the displayed object. This is hugely beneficial to scenes where high render speeds require low poly-models. Rob

COMMENTS

01 Nov 2007 12:48 PM

Michael said:

Incredibly impressive - and strangely arousing.

01 Nov 2007 08:09 PM

robnet said:

we have column illumination! forgot that bit as i was too busy... being distracted... by... other things...

01 Nov 2007 11:47 PM

Ryan [draw.logic] said:

Breasteses in AS3? It isn't the first and won' t be the last smile Well done looking for ward to 2.0 with the .as exports. I am still big on the idea of exporting 3d models to swf though for runtime loading.

03 Nov 2007 05:45 AM

C4RL05 said:

Absolutely amazing. Great job guys.

06 Nov 2007 07:23 AM

Jorrit said:

Amazing, what already can be done in 3D using Flash (and this engine ofcourse). Hopefully I can use this engine in a future project.

13 Nov 2007 08:54 AM

Gabriel said:

can hardly wait for the next version so's I can start me game!

15 Nov 2007 08:12 AM

Mr.doob said:

Somebody deleted my post :_(

15 Nov 2007 04:31 PM

dispatchEvent » Thursday Link Dump, What a D said:

[...] Away3D normal mapping demo. This really blew me away. Normal mapping is, I feel, somewhat of a holy grail for software 3d packages like Away3D and Papervision, because it lets you display very simplified geometry, but shade it like the high-resolution original model. You can see the bust is only rendering maybe a hundred or two hundred polys, but the impression it gives is of a very nicely detailed model, because lighting calculations use normals from a prerendered normal map rather than from geometry. BRAVO! [...]

16 Oct 2008 04:16 PM

Modding boobs « Dorking around 3D in Flash said:

[...] this purpose, I digged out old Away3D boobies demo and added two Bloat modifiers to it. Ever wanned to be a plastic surgeon? Then check out this [...]

08 Nov 2008 02:14 PM

Andrew said:

Hi there! Great engine! As I understand, it can be used in the commercial flash project?

And regarding this demo - any chances to render torso as double side object so holes will not looks transparent?

Regards, Andrew