05 Oct 2007

Away3D Directional smooth shading & environement reflections

by Fabrice Closier Away3D Directional smooth shading & environement reflections

After days working on the code, it's finally there. A smooth shiny reflecting surface! I let you judge of the quality and the performance... i'am very happy with this result, that's all i can say! To get there and be able to make this demo, i got help from my friends Rob Bateman and Peter Kapelyan. Without them, i could have spend days on the code trying to find the bug i was looking for. And it was a nasty one... Peter shown us the way with his sharp eye and Rob killed the beast! I'm very proud of the Away3D team, thank you guys, real teamwork! Fabrice

COMMENTS

05 Oct 2007 04:39 PM

Mr.doob said:

I told you that you were getting there, good to see you found the bug wink

06 Oct 2007 02:59 AM

admin said:

Thx Ricardo,
The problem now is that if I look at my dev files for new shaders that were waiting for that bugfixe. I know that I'll have not much sleep hours in the coming weeks!

08 Oct 2007 08:25 PM

Tink said:

These look great!

14 Oct 2007 03:26 AM

Henri Karapuu said:

That looks stunning, and it's great to see the rapid pace development.

BUT. The project downloads have last been updated in july, the documentation besides of class reference is non-existent, the choice of .FLA for the lessons means that unless you have bought Adobe Flash they cannot be viewed at all etc etc.

I know these things are boring to take care of compared to building shiny rotating objects, however i'd really wish you'd found some time for these. As of now, it's very difficult to get started and for the overall success of an open source project large customer base is critically important.

/Henri Karapuu

15 Oct 2007 02:29 AM

Stephen White said:

The state of the documentation is entirely my fault. At the moment, I would only be able to document the basic aspects of the system, as the shiny materials and interesting stuff is changing so much on a daily basis.

I am pretty much waiting for the stable release of the library that is able to display the demos that you are seeing on the blog now, otherwise it is hard to answer the question "why use Away3d?" when the documentation only shows a rotating box or two.

Fabrice and Rob are making good progress in merging their code, so I expect things to start moving (literally!) soon... smile

20 Oct 2007 12:32 AM

John Grden said:

looks very nice

23 Oct 2007 03:20 AM

Henri Karapuu said:

Ok, thanks for the reply Steve. I'm looking forward to start playing with this stuff.

15 Dec 2007 09:06 PM

Lorenzo said:

How you did it? there is a tutorial somewhere?

17 Dec 2007 05:46 PM

admin said:

We are indeed working on an extented documentation with tutorials for the 2.0 release...